Posted by Art Of Legend India [dot] Com On 5:29 AM
Nurpur is famous for an old fort and a temple of Brij Raj. Nurpur acquired its name in 1672, when the Mughal emperor Jahangir named it after his beloved wife Noorjahan. Built in the late 16th century by Raja Basu, the Nurpur Fort is massive and sprawling. According to the folklore, the idol of Lord Krishna that has been enshrined in the temple is the one that used to be worshipped by Meera Bai. Nurpur fort was constructed more than one thousand years ago. Initially, it was known as Dhameri. The famous Brij Maharaj temple, inside the fort complex, is dedicated to Lord Krishna and it has a beautiful black stone idol of the Lord. It was brought from Rajasthan during Raja Jagat Singh’s reign. The walls are decorated with exquisite paintings from Indian mythology.
The paintings of Nurpur style are very famous all over the world. The skilled artists of pahari made very excellent paintings. Nurpur paintings of Himachal Pradesh usually employ bright colors and flat backgrounds. However, in the later periods, the dazzling colors were replaced by muted ones.
Today, Nurpur is more famous for its shawls and silk than the fine paintings that once flowed out of its ateliers, yet some remains can be seen on the walls of the temples in the fort. The Nurpur paintings are characterized by tall women who have long limbs particularly below the waist and are always elegantly attired. All paintings are courtesy of Art of Legend India.